John Stuart Mill: There is not a more accurate test of the progress of civilization than the progress of the power of co-operation.
What is a cluster?
Sectorial groups that create a very strong interrelationship between businesses, technological and research centres, training centres and public entities within a particular geographic region, with the aim of carrying out joint innovatory projects. The objective is to strengthen all participants, owing to cooperation between the different members within the Group.
Clusters in Asturias
Since 2007 IDEPA (Economic Development Agency of the Principality of Asturias) has been carrying out work on developing and strengthening clusters, turning them into an invaluable tool for achieving greater integration and structuring of the Regional System for Innovation. The development of these Innovative Groups in Asturias is in response to the need for the development of a sectorial policy allowing the formation support means capable of responding to the specific needs of the particular sectors.
Today, the organizations that meet the following requirements are part of the Asturias cluster network:
- Critical mass: having at least 20 regional associated companies, with economic contribution.
- Representativeness: the turnover of the member companies, or the sector to which they belong, must be higher than 1% of the GDP of Asturias.
- Structure: 60% of the member companies must be SMEs and have a knowledge center.
- Strategic plan: have un updated, multi-annual strategic plan.
- Staff: have at least one cluster manager., full time equivalent
On this page you will find information about the activities, objectives, associated members of the clusters in our region.
In order to promote cooperation we also place at your disposal a service for the exchange of requests and offers of business cooperation with more than 600 centres in 60 countries, managed by the Enterprise Europe Network.